Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sensibility?!?

So, what pops into your brain as soon as I say, "Sensibility"? And don't say Jane Austin. Well, you can say Jane Austin, if that is all that comes to your head, but you may possibly be like me and the first thing that popped into your head was actually a picture instead of a word.

Let me explain. When I hear the word sensibility I think of beautiful women in simple and elegant gowns standing erect and speaking with dignity and sometimes a bit of a bite. I also picture handsome men of all ages wooing and courting and loving aforementioned women. You guessed it, I also come up with only Jane Austin but doesn't the mere mention of her name conjure up the most beautiful thoughts.

Where is all of this going? I first would like to mention that I am a hopeless romantic in some areas. Clothing would be one of them. I have always loved dresses. I would wear dresses and skirts all the time but dear husband highly objects to that. My favorites are the "costumes" of the Elizabethan Era, the Regency Era, and the dresses of the women who lived during World War 1. These ladies knew a thing or two about looking great even though they were "only housewives". Maybe I will address the "only a housewife" issue on another day.

A teacher friend of mine directed me to a site that is absolutely a dream come true for this hopeless romantic, Jane Austin reading, stuck in the wrong era woman. The site is called Sensibility and the designer has developed beautiful period costumes that exude femininity. Oh, I would love to make nearly every dress on her site and wear them myself or give them to my girls to wear. I hope some of you will check out the site and even make a few of the dresses for yourselves.


VeryVerdant

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...