Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake


This is one of my very favorite recipes. Every time I eat strawberry shortcake, I am transported back in time to my childhood and Sunday dinners at home...usually with guests who have joined us.

I am not sure where this recipe
originated because I never saw my mom use a recipe. The steps were rote memory for her.In fact, when I got married and wanted to make a strawberry shortcake of my own, I called my mom. On the other side of the phone line (yes, they were all ground lines then) I could here Mom getting all the ingredients out of the cupboard. She had to put the ingredients together and guess what the measurements were as she worked.

"Let's see, I think that's about 2 cups. Yeah, write down 2 cups of self rise flour. Now let me get the sugar." [pause] "Hm, I think that's about..."

No lie, that is exactly the way she taught me to make strawberry shortcake. Now that I think about it, that is the same way she taught me to make great big southern buttermilk biscuits.

Hopefully you will enjoy this recipe as much as we have.



For this recipe you will need an 11" Flan Pan. You can order them from any bakery supply store, Amazon.com, Walmart(sometimes), or Pampered Chef.



Strawberry Shortcake:

Strawberry Filling
You will want to prepare the strawberries at least two hours in advance(overnight is best).
2 pints of fresh strawberries
Sugar

Rinse the strawberries and cut them into thin slices. Place the strawberry slices in a large bowl and sprinkle a layer of sugar over top. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set them in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them.



Shortcake Bottom
1 Egg
3/4 Cup Crisco
1 Cup Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla
1 3/4 Cup Self-Rise Flour

With a sturdy mixer combine crisco and sugar until creamy.
Blend in egg and vanilla. Slowly add flour.

Press dough into flan pan and bake at 350 until lightly browned.

Topping
1 Large container of Cool Whip (thawed)


Putting it all together
Once the cake bottom is cooled, pour out the strawberries onto the cake bottom until it is completely covered. Use the juices and the strawberries. You won't be sorry! Promise!!!

Top it all off with cool whip and chill until you are ready to serve.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...