Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

1,2,3,4,5..... Yes, that would absolutely wrench the heart out of the beloved Elizabeth Barret Browning, but ever since high school my husband has quoted that sonnet to me the same way. I have a deeply romantic nature to me that breathes poetry while my husband...well, let's just say he doesn't. That is just one of the many differences we have between the two of us. Many people have said through the years that one should choose a mate with similar interests and ideas but we married into the rule that opposites attract. Polar Opposites, is what we call ourselves. Sometimes that is stressful, I will be the first to admit it. We disagree on menu items, clothing styles, music, houses, sports...wow! I could go on forever, but while we disagree on so many things, I love to think of all the ways we complete each other. I have a short temper. He is patient. I am in many ways impulsive. He thinks things through. I am always busy doing something. He reminds me that rest is necessary. In our differences we have so much to offer to our growing children. Their education and upbringing is so well rounded because between the two of us, my husband and I have so many ideas and view points and qualities to pass on to our children.

So for my "Polar Opposite" on our 15th wedding anniversary, here are 15 of the ways or reasons I love you in a list so that there is not too much poetry.

1. Your mind is amazing. (Two college degrees earned with high GPA and all the while growing a family and nourishing our marriage.)
2. I love the way my head fits right under your chin when you hug me.
3. You come home to me every afternoon when work is over. (Many men stop by the gym or go out with their buddies...you come home to me. Faithfulness is wonderful.)
4. I love the way your face turns red when you "wrestle" with the kids. (I am so glad it is you under that pile of arms and legs and not me. No, sir, I enjoy my safe spot behind the camera.)
5. I love how you listen. (I know sometimes I get aggravated when you do not have an answer for my troubles but what I really love is that you listen and let me sort out my thoughts.)
6. I love your quiet control.
7. I love to watch you help the older children with their science projects and math.
8. I am honored that you chose me.
9. I love that you wish you could give me more. (as if having you isn't enough)
10. I love , love, love that you do the grocery shopping. (Yuck!!!)
11. I love that you make me be still.
12. I love the way you hold my hand in the car.
13. I love how you give an honest opinion when I ask, "How does this look?" (You are not one of those that doesn't look up from what he is doing.)
14. I love that you sometimes bring flowers via the hands of one of our children. ("Mommy, look what me and Daddy got for you." - the sweetest thing ever!)
15. I love that you plan to spend the next 15 years with me and not as if attached to a ball and chain but because that is what you choose to do.

This Thanksgiving Day,
On Our 15th Wedding Anniversary,
I Am Thankful For You,
Sonja

P.S. The Bible teaches that marriage is a picture of God's love for his people. I am reminded of that so many times in our marriage. One verse in particular comes to mind so often in our married life. "We love Him because He first loved us." You loved me before I even acknowledged your existence just as Jesus died for my sins long before I was placed on this earth. I Love You!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...