Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The C Word

"It hurts to breathe!" That was my initial response to the news. My mom and dad stopped by last night after Mom's doctors appointment. The news they shared took my breath away. Mom has cancer - 7 cm of it - in her kidney and will need to have the kidney removed. The surgery is scheduled for the 29th, 2 weeks and 6 days from today.

As soon as my breathing and heart rate returned to normal, the questions began stirring around in my mind like a smoothie in a blender. Is there more? Will you be on Chemo? What about radiation? How long is recovery time? What can I do? Will they be able to get it all? It - I could not even say the word for a couple hours.

All the while, my mom stood calm and smiling. "You know what? The doctors only found it because I went in with a bladder infection last week. That's when they ran blood work and ordered the CT scan. My kidneys never really bothered me. No pain or anything. "

Dad pipes in,"Yeah, praise God she was sick because that is why the doctors ran tests on her kidneys. Other wise we might not have known it was there."

"Praise God?" you ask...Yes, that is exactly what they were doing. Not standing there being angry because God allowed her to have cancer, but saying,"Praise God He let me get sick because without being sick, the doctors would not have found the cancer."

Mom's last words to me before she and Dad drove home last night,"Isn't it great that God has a plan and knows what He's doing?"

Hm...so a new journey begins. The journey called cancer...

11 comments:

Laurel said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's cancer, but I'm amazed and encouraged by your parents' faith. I hope and pray for the best results from your mother's treatment.

Very Verdant said...

Thank You, for your kind words, Laurel.

Shelley said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your mom! What an amazing example of faith your parents are. They must be such a strength and encouragement to everyone God puts in their path. I'm praying for you, your family and your parents.

RosHorton said...

I was so sorry to hear your mom is facing this, and at the same time understand the gratitude that God arranged for them to find the cancer. You guys are in our prayers!

Very Verdant said...

Shelley,
Thank you for the prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

Rosalyn,
We love you and miss you. Thanks for the comments. I am thankful Mom has a strong and faithful friends. Your family is such a blessing.

knittingdragonflies said...

You and your family are in my prayers!
Take care
Vicki

Very Verdant said...

Vicki, Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We really do appreciate them.

Sonja

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you are feeling! My Mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the weekend of my birthday. She got jaundice and that is how they were able to find it. Like your Dad said, atleast your mom and my mom both got sick and that is how they found the cancer. Otherwise none of us might have found out until it was too late. My Mom has a 3.5 cm tumor at the head of her pancreas. It was too large and in a risky area for them to do surgery. She has been going through chemo and radiation. So far she has been feeling good and able to work a few days every week. She keeps saying that God chose her to have the cancer for some purpose, and she just trusts in Him to get all of us through her sickness. She said that she is not worried about it, that God is in complete control. Both our Mom's have positive attitudes and that is what is going to get them through this. Please know that your Mom and the rest of the family are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you-Regina Tolison

Very Verdant said...

Regina,
Thank you so much for commenting. We are finding so much strength and encouragement from our faith but also from the words and prayers of others who have "been there and done that".

Thank You,
Sonja

Memories for Life said...

I love your parents' positive attitudes :) Cancer is such a scary thing...yet they are optimistic! A great lesson :)

I wish your mom the best in her journey!

Anonymous said...

I know this comment is not the most timely but My mom was diagnosed with a terminal illness at the same time you recieved the news about your mom. I have been so amazed by how God has gone before my mom in each and every step of this journey. I am so glad that your family has faith in the God that cares so much for us. Hope your mom is doing well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...